Seven third party logistics SMEs train HGV drivers through Skills Bootcamps scheme


HGVC, the HGV training specialist, is helping seven SME third party logistics firms train existing employees as part of its majority-funded Skills Bootcamps in HGV Driving scheme.

When haulage driver shortages continue to contribute to market headwinds in the sector, the Department for Education (DfE) funded Skills Bootcamps offer a lifeline for logistics firms.

Now, HGVC is helping seven SME logistics firms train new HGV drivers. However, up to 1,900 places are available over the next two years. So, HGVC is encouraging more firms to apply while places remain. 

The HGV Skills Bootcamps are flexible courses of up to 16 weeks, helping people build up sector-specific skills. First launched in December 2021, the DfE has extended the programme. For employers with fewer than 250 employees, the Skills Bootcamps are 90% funded by the DfE. Employers pay the remaining 10 per cent of the course cost.    

HGVC will focus on supporting employers looking to upskill existing staff, via three pathways: helping novice drivers gain their Category C (rigid lorry) licence, a Category C+E (articulated lorry) licence or helping those with a Category C licence upgrade to a Category C + E.

James Clifford, CEO of HGVC, said: “Many logistics firms still need more HGV drivers. We are now helping seven SME firms train existing employees. But we have the capacity to train more. That’s why we’re encouraging SMEs to apply for the HGV Skills Bootcamps scheme, 90% funded by the DfE. For employers considering training budgets, this is a great opportunity to train existing staff. With this funding, we can get even more drivers behind the wheel and keep Britain moving.”

Clare Tipper, Director at G-Lime, said: “Increasing our pool of HGV drivers is essential to fulfil customer demands, and enhancing the skills of current employees is an effective approach, especially with the 90% funding through the Skills Bootcamp program. Additionally, HGVC has streamlined the process for a seamless and manageable experience. We anticipate having our new drivers ready to serve customers promptly”.

HGVC’s scheme is open to any logistics firm looking to upskill their existing staff. The training courses are available at 60 locations across the country. Employers can apply at

Add a Comment

No messages on this article yet

Editorial: +44 (0)1892 536363
Publisher: +44 (0)208 440 0372
Subscribe FREE to the weekly E-newsletter