There is now less than a month left to enter the annual FTA everywoman in Transport & Logistics Awards programme - launched to celebrate exceptional women reshaping the industry. Nominations are open here until 12 February 2018.
With new categories introduced for 2018, this year's awards will also recognise the achievements of men advancing the progress of women working in transport & logistics.
Currently in its eleventh year, the awards programme will shine a light on the vital role women play in the future of transport and logistics and the wide range of new opportunities available in the sector. The transport and logistics industry currently employs 2.54 million people, accounting for 8% of the total UK workforce*. However, women occupy only 22% of these job roles**, which is why demonstrating the breadth and variety of career opportunities available to women within the sector is so important. The logistics industry alone delivers a staggering £121 billion Gross Value Added to the national economy, making it a major player in the extent and speed of the UK's future growth. ***
Past finalists and winners of the awards have remained everywoman ambassadors, reshaping the traditional perception of the transport and logistics industry as one that is male-dominated.
The awards will recognise two winners per category; one successful industry "Leader" and one individual at any stage in their career who has truly gone "Above and Beyond" for their organisation. All nominees should demonstrate how they are innovating and excelling in their roles and are welcomed from all sectors, from aviation and shipping to road and rail infrastructure.
In addition, the Industry Champion Award will recognise a woman, or man, who is championing the progress of women working in transport and logistics. A brand new category has also been added - Male Agent of Change - recognising a man with an active commitment to advancing the progress of women working in transport and logistics.
The 2018 Award Categories are as follows
- The Freight Award – Entrants for this Award should demonstrate how they are innovating in the sector.
- The Passenger Award – Entrants for this Award should demonstrate how they are improving the customer experience.
- The Infrastructure Award – Entrants for this Award should demonstrate how they are improving road or rail infrastructure.
- The Supply Chain Award – Entrants for this Award should demonstrate how they are improving processes within supply chain.
- The Warehousing Award - Entrants for this Award should demonstrate how they are innovating and improving warehouse operations.
- Industry Champion Award – Entrants for this Award should demonstrate the impact that they have had on attracting and retaining women in the industry. Awarded to one individual only, male or female.
- Male Agent of Change Award (new for 2018) – Awarded to a man for his active commitment to advancing the progress of women working in transport and logistics
Maxine Benson MBE, Co-Founder of everywoman, comments, "Every year we look forward to uncovering the exceptional women whose achievements will truly inspire those aspiring to work in transport and logistics and importantly motivate those who have never considered the industry, to take a fresh look at it. The variety of industries represented by past finalists and winners shows just how many interesting and fulfilling opportunities are available, completely reshaping the perceptions many have about the industry."
David Wells, chief executive of the FTA adds: "Logistics is one of the UK's biggest employers with more than 2.54 million people working across the industry, yet only a small proportion of that number are women. FTA is delighted to once again sponsor the everywoman in Transport & Logistics Awards to recognise the women really driving change and acting as role models in a wide range of roles, and to showcase the opportunities that exist for the next generation to join this vibrant area of a sector, which underpins every aspect of modern life."
The winners will be unveiled at an awards ceremony on Thursday 14 June 2018 at Marriott Grosvenor Square, London.
* FTA Logistics Report 2017 – FTA (2017)
** Accelerating Diversity in the Transport Industry – JGF (2017)